Thursday 29 March 2012

"Dulcy" - Donna Salazar Designs

I'd like for you to meet "Dulcy" and her little fairy doll friend "Iridessa"!  She's a hanging Art Doll and I've made her to keep me company in my studio.
 

I made my first Art Doll in early 2011 for an International Swap run by Australian Mixed Media Artist Linda Baldock.  I was nervous at first, but now I love making them and thought I'd share with you how I created her.



First thing we need to do is trace her body and 'arms' outline onto some Zutter Corrugated Board, cut them out and then tear off the outer layer, revealing the corrugation underneath.   HERE is a link to download a PDF to print, I have saved it at 8x10", but you can make it any size that you want!  Linda has some very cool templates, but I drew this simpler one, a little more 'me'.


Next grab some paper offcuts and adhere them randomly using your preferred decoupage glue, leaving some of the corrugated board showing.


Once dry I then add some impasto medium over the paper joins to help blend them in with one another.  While still wet, spray some Smooch Spritz over the Impasto and into the corrugations.  Wipe off the excess with a baby wipe, blending as you do and set it aside to dry.  Once dry, tear off the excess paper  so it is flush with the body forme.


While that is drying swipe Mix'd Media Inx in Jasmine across her 'arms', let it dry.


Cut some fairy wings using the largest of the Spellbinders Wonderful Wings Die, I have cut 2 paper layers from some Spring in Bloom papers and 4 layers of Tulle.  Cut them in half and adhere them to the back of your Art Doll Body.  Even headless she's looking pretty already!!


Now my favourite part... dressing her!  Attach her arms first and then gather some lace, trim and muslin and add a 'skirt' and drape a 'cloak'.


Before we finish, we need to cut a backing piece to support her head.  Using your template and some trim you plan to use as a 'bonnet' trace onto some more Zutter Corrugated Board, cut out and cut a small hole to thread some ribbon through so you can hang her on a wall later.  I've not made this part of the template because I like the extra support of the 2nd piece of board, and we don't know what size 'head' she needs until you have the trims you want to use.  Add your 'bonnet' trims to this backing piece and then adhere it to the body.  Add her 'face' and you are finished!


I made her face using an art mould and air dry clay, once dry I painted her with some buff coloured acrylic paint and used some Mix'd Media Inx Refill to colour her lips and eyelids.  Mixed with the paint it creates a lovely medium to add just the right colours.   


Add some flowers to her 'dress', I have used the Spellbinders Rose Creations die to cut some of my own flowers from Spring in Bloom papers and Crafty Chronicle, and have also tucked in some little paper roses sprayed with Smooch Spritz to match.

"Iridessa", her little fairy doll, was created from a Want2Scrap Chipboard Paper Doll, covered with various embossing powders.  She too has little wings cut using Spellbinders Wonderful Wings Die and a little tulle tutu!  She is so cute and was such fun to create!!


Donna is having a random giveaway on my post for this over on the DSD Blog!    Don't forget to check Donna's blog each day to see what they will be giving away!  Also, be sure that you are a fan of the Donna Salazar Designs Facebook Fan Page because that is where Natasha will be announcing the winners! 

Until next time, take care and be true to you!
Mis xo


DSD Products used:

Clearsnap - Mix'd Media Inx {Jasmine}, Mix'd Media Inx Refill {Peridot, Chiffon}, Smooch Spritz {River Mossy, Ice Rink}, Fairy Dust {Mixed Berries}
Want2Scrap - Chipboard Paper Doll




Thanks for visiting, take care and
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. gorgeous mistra and i am totally in love with her little doll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sweet and you did such a great face on it as well. I remember my painting teacher saying faces are not always easy to do but this one looks very peaceful. Lovely work!!!

    ReplyDelete